.

.
16.1.16

A year of pleasures:skating


I must admit, (actual) skating is a pleasure that I don't get to have anymore. I no longer get to whip around the rink without a care in the world. I'm even getting a bit rusty :(
Big Boy is learning (he's good by himself) but still needs loads of assistance. Little Miss is a disaster because she either loves it or loathes it - no in between.
Lastnight was a loathe-it night. In her defense, she didn't nap all day, and it's extremely hard to get out in the evenings after our long days. I too was very tired and just feeling weak from exhaustion.

I'm also learning a lot. I am learning patience. Teaching a child to skate is WORK. Oh my, it is real work.
It's interesting in some ways too; cause we have some moments. Like before we really started learning I gave Big Boy the pep talk. " it's not going to be easy...you are going to fall...sometimes it will hurt too." Yep, I told him this, and I remind him every single time we get out. Then I showed him how to fall down (yes there's a proper way to fall down when skating on ice, ask my wrist). He thought was the funniest thing ever. He kept saying, "... it's silly to practice falling", but I reminded him, it was for his own good, and he also remembered that I hurt my wrist just 2 weeks prior.

Well, last night I gave the talk again, and he went out on the ice, and we were playing a game and he got so excited that his feet were going faster than his brain I guess, and he fell right on his face and busted his lip. Yes, he cried. But I didn't allow him to stop playing or practising. Minutes later, he said, "...you're right mama, there's a way to fall so that it doesn't hurt too much...can I have a Band-Aid later?" They learn by living...no doubt about that.

This (the whole experience) is always a pleasure for me because:
1/ skating is something only I can teach the kids at the moment - no one else in my family skates, so it's our time alone.
2/ i love being with the kids without having time limits or other expectations.
If I can only get out more when the kids are not exhausted, I think we would all really enjoy it.

Stories

+

Followers

Contact

Search

About the Template